Monday, August 31, 2009

A Teachers View: Healthy Hands


I am blessed to live next to a elementary school teacher who loves my kids and we love her!! She has multiple education degrees and is the first person I run to when I am worried about speech, development or anything learning related!! She has agreed to write a weekly post for me on some common concerns involving little ones and just great tips! If you have a topic that you would like to see addressed, please e-mail me at everythingmom@live.com.


Healthy Hands

As cold and flu season approaches, there is one sure-fire way to reduce the amount of germs in your child’s world: Wash hands!

With a new school year starting, help your child develop good hand-washing habits.

· Wash for at least 15 seconds with soap and water. Have kids sing the ABC’s. I usually sing the following ditty to my 4th and 5th graders; they are so busy laughing at me that they don’t even notice time has gone by. Feel free to use it with your kids!

To the tune of “Row, Row Your Boat”
Wash, wash, wash your hands, get them nice and clean! Get the fronts and the backs and the spaces in between!

· Turn the faucet off with a paper towel. Many schools have motion sinks, yea!

· Alcohol-based hand rub is also effective. If your kiddo is a packer, stash some in their lunch box.

· Wash hands often throughout the day.

· Always wash hands after using the bathroom, after you cough or sneeze, and before eating.

Our school has recess before lunch, so remind kids they need to wash after recess too!

Here’s to a healthy school year!

0 comments: