Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Freezing dishes- How to


I have been getting some questions about how I freeze dinners so I thought I would share with you how I do it. ( I am not saying its the right way... but somehow it works for us :) )

Any recipe that calls for a 13x9 inch pan, I know that I can half. I will be able to feed my family and have a meal for another time. I usually keep my eyes open for the disposable 9x9 pans at the grocery store or Wal-Mart. They seem to cook faster and I don't tie up my good glass dishes. The other bonus is clean-up... there is none!

I then prepare the recipe, including cooking it according to the directions. If the recipe calls for the dish to bake for 40 minutes in a 13x9 in. pan, then I will put it in 2 9x9 pans and set my timer to check it for 30 minutes. ( Just in case... ) This way when you go to bake the frozen dish, it will take less time because you have already cooked it.

After cooking, I will remove both pans. I serve the one we are eating and let the other completely cool. After cooled, I will cover with a sheet or two of aluminum foil, and write on the top with a sharpie. I will put what the dish is, the date and cooking directions. ( I got this from my good friend April! - genius.... That way your man can feed the kids without calling you at your women's group 5 x. WOOHOO! ) I then put the dish in a freezer bag and out it goes in the chest freezer.

I do this with side dishes and desserts too. It amazes me how much you can stretch a dollar when you do this. It also gives mamas a much needed break on those days. You know the ones....

0 comments: