Thursday, November 19, 2009

Kids Craft: Thanksgiving Placemats


I want my kids to have thankful heart. I want them to grow up with the knowledge that all they have is a blessing. Not an expectation.

I try to do something "crafty" each week with my kids. It helps break the days up and it lets their creative juices get movin!

Since Thanksgiving is around the corner I thought that it would be a great idea to make Thankful place mats. They will look lovely and the kids will be proud as peacocks.... ooops I mean Turkeys.

You will need wax paper, scissors, an iron and then whatever your little ones can find :)

We started by going for a long walk. Well I walked... the little people took a monster truck.

We collected pretty leaves. (Good thing we had a big truck bed to haul with.)

When we got home they had a ball decorating their very own place mat. I also took an opportunity to talk about the things that we have been blessed with this year. ((Let me just tell you that some of the things my son came up with had me stifling fits of laughter.))

This is what you do:

Take one sheet of wax paper. Place whatever you wish to be in your place mat. For this project I used 3 of my leaves. I also took some construction paper and cut it with scapbooking scissors. I then placed a sticker that I found in my stash.

Place the other piece of wax paper directly on top of paper and iron with a warm setting.


Wahlah! It looks great on a tablecloth :)


Here are some helpful hints:


**Save trimming the edges until after you have ironed. This will save time.


** The more bulky the item in your place mat, the harder it will be to adhere. The more flat the better.

**You can use crayon shavings to really make your place mat colorful!


**You can also use photographs and or magazine cut outs. Have the kidlets go through magazines and cut out things that they are thankful for!!



HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

3 comments:

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I love crafts that I can do with my kids. Thanks.

Laura Horne said...

What a simple, great craft to do with kids. I am going to have to store this one away for when they are a little bigger. I can imagine how excited they will be to eat off of the place mats they made.

Thanks for sharing!

Wendy said...

Love this project! It's one of my autumn favorites!!