Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Works for me Wednesday: Keeping my kids safe

I like to think I am somewhere between a helicopter mom and a "just sit there" mom.

On one hand safety is my number one priority. On the other hand I want them to learn to be safe and not by me hovering over them.

We have come up with a good system so I thought I would share!

I found four set of little cones in the $1 bin at Target. We then explained to the kids that they can play anywhere they want...just not past the orange cones.

I can tell you that they have tested the limits a couple of times. (I can also tell you that each time they have tested their limits, the bikes and sidewalk chalk was promptly put away and we went inside.) It didn't take long for them to realize that they would rather follow the orange cone rule then go inside.

I also do not have to hover as much. I can sit on my porch and enjoy watching them. I may even take a magazine outside with me, occasionally.

That works for this mama.


For more great WFMW ideas visit We are That Family!

0 comments: