Thursday, December 9, 2010

Works for me Wednesday- the great clean out

So its Thursday....I was busy doing the WFMW on Wednesday so its a little late :)

Every year I look at my pile of presents to wrap and then my eyes just automatically wonder to the overflowing toy boxes and bins.

A couple years ago, I decided that enough was enough. The kids and I spend a couple days every December going through their toys. They actually love it because they thing they are playing all day, but they have some tough decisions to make.


I tell them that they have to choose quite a few toys to give to a little girl or boy that doesn't have many toys to play with. I try to explain the importance of giving or donating and how it helps people who have needs greater than ours.

Its hard for them but I am hoping that it starts them on the path of giving and service and putting other before themselves.

It also makes room for the new stuff- which totally works for this mama!

We watch for the donation truck and we talk about how when they sell these things, the money will help people who need things.

They are way to young to serve in a shelter or ministry along those lines so this is their holiday sacrifice. ......Because that is what Christmas is all about Charlie Brown :)


For more great WFMW ideas visit We are That Family!



0 comments: