Monday, September 7, 2009

A Teachers View: Cooking with Kids


I am blessed to live next to a elementary school teacher who loves my kids and we love her!! She has multiple education degrees and is the first person I run to when I am worried about speech, development or anything learning related!! She has agreed to write a weekly post for me on some common concerns involving little ones and just great tips! If you have a topic that you would like to see addressed, please e-mail me at everythingmom@live.com.


Cooking with Kids


I love cooking with kids! There are so many great reasons to do it. First, hello, there’s food involved. Second, kids are usually more willing to eat something if they helped make it. Third, there’s a lot of learning that can go on as you mix up a batch of something yummy! The possibilities are endless!

Preschoolers

Have your preschooler help you count out eggs, put in cupcake liners, pour premeasured ingredients, count the number of cups you need, fetch metal or plastic utensils, put dishes in the dishwasher

Early Elementary Grades K and 1st

Have your kiddos count out cupcake liners, scoop dry goods like sugar or flour, set a timer, break eggs (into a separate container of course!), scrape sides of a mixing bowl, mix something by hand like brownies or meatloaf (realizing you’ll have to finish the job)

Middle Elementary Grades 2nd and 3rd

Have kids write the grocery list, help you shop and compare prices, figure out how to double a recipe, demonstrate simple conversions (“I need a cup of milk, but only the ½ cup is clean. How many should I use?”), measure and add ingredients, cut soft items with a plastic knife

Late Elementary Grades 4th and 5th

Shop and stay within a budget, use more complex conversions (“I need 2 cups of milk, but only the 1/3 cup is clean. How many do I need?”), run an electric mixer with supervision, spoon or pour mixtures into vessels, follow a simple recipe

Cooking with kids gets them into some family fun but also works on math, social studies, science, and fine motor skills.

Happy Cooking!

0 comments: