Monday, October 19, 2009

Menu Plan Monday- errrr .... kind of



So. Y'all know I love me some menu plans. I think that they save you a ton of money, headaches and time. They keep this mama sane and that is saying alot.

However I have been in a serious season of conviction. One of these convictions is my love of coupons and stockpiling. If I can find Knorr noodles for $.10 a package, I buy 5. Do this alot and 2 things happen.

1.) You go over your budget almost every week. You tell yourself its ok because your saving money in the long run.

2.) You can't find anything in your pantry because you have so much stuff!

So after a shopping trip in September filled with $.20 shampoos and a super great deal on chicken, my saint of a hubby did not say a word but gave me "the look". I knew what he was thinking because I was thinking the same thing. Stockpiling was worthless unless you actually take the time to live off of it and reap the savings!

So I can proudly tell you that I have not been to the grocery store in 4 weeks. My goal is to simply get creative and live off the stockpile. When we need milk, eggs and fruit... I send hubby. I am too weak. Bargains know my name and scream at me when I walk by. Its just too much....

So my menu plan this week is simple. Use what I have and enjoy. Maybe I won't have tomatoes for the taco's. But I am using shells I forgot I had, seasoning I found behind a can of peas and cheese I got for a dollar and had frozen. It makes me feel good. It makes me think outside the box and try new things. I am also excited to use some of the stuff on my baking shelf so that when Christmas baking comes around I can know everything I have. ( Compared to trying to reach the sprinkles through expired Graham cracker crumbs and an old can of evaporated milk. That evaporated a long, long time ago.

My goal is to not go back to the store till November and I am pretty sure I can make it. Wish me luck!

0 comments: