Thursday, October 22, 2009

Where does time go ??

My son is 3 and in a two day pre-school program. I am AMAZED at how much he has learned in the few short months he has been in school.

Last night he had an open house where the whole school marched throughout the isles of the auditorium in costume. ( They had a "book parade" where they dressed as the characters of a book they have been reading. ) My darling boy was an ice cream man. I had made the costume and dressed him but was not prepared me as he came marching down the center isle.

I felt hot tears stinging my eyes. He looked so big. He proudly marched with his class, his eyes searching for us. Ice cream scoop in one hand, a play ice cream in another, wide grin plastered on his face.

My mind saw him as a fussy infant in my arms, nursing at my breast. Who was this boy? Surly, he had not grown this much, so soon? I suddenly wanted to slow time itself. I envisioned him walking an isle, several years from now with a cap and gown and my heart hurt.

Once again I heard that still small voice whisper to my heart. Slow down, enjoy, relish. They don't stay little for very long and they are gone in the blink of an eye.

I am sure the people around me thought I was a total nut. ( Big surprise !! ) I was sniffling and trying to look composed. I suddenly did not care because I was looking at my life on stage singing his heart out. At the end he waved and blew a kiss. I thought a stretcher was going to have to take me away. :)

I know there will be so many more moments like these and I am thankful. I am thankful for gentle reminders to this mama to get my priorities straight, listen and enjoy.

Until they are on my last nerve and I start to pray for full day school....hey, I am not a saint!

0 comments: