Monday, August 11, 2008

I'm back !!!

We are finally back from our trip to Lake Erie. I am so surprised what a good time that we all had! Not that I expected to have a bad time..... its just my expectations were not that high for a vacation with a toddler and infant. What I found though was that we badly needed the week away to relax and reconnect as a family.

One of my hubbys officers owns a beach house on the lake. I was thinking cottage. What we got was a gorgeous fully stocked home. We are talking flat screen tv on the wall, hard wood floors and a gorgeous wrap around deck. I felt so blessed to have such a wonderful place to go that was so reasonable.

I won't bore you with a thousand details but I will share with you some interesting things.

The first thing that we discovered is that after weeks of talking about the beach, our two year old doesn't like the feel of sand. Talk about anti-climatic. He was so excited about the beach only to have nothing to do with the water or walking on the sand. So out comes the beach towels. He sat all day on that thing and just played with his toys and sand buckets. He loved scooping the sand so he was entertained but we just thought he would go crazy...... not so much.

The second thing is that we went to a drive through an animal park. Can I just say that my husband had more fun than our toddler. My infant decided that this was the time to start screaming to the top of her lungs. I didn't want the animals getting agitated and trying to eat us or the car. So I pulled a Brittney Spears. We were only going about 2 miles an hour and stopped most the time so I thought it would be ok. ( I felt like a big trash ball just the same ) My husband started out with all the windows down and feeding the animals carrots by hand. When the buffalo.. yes I said buffalo.... started to get inside our car he kept the windows rolled up most the time. One thing you have to know about me is that I laugh like an idiot when I get nervous. So here I am holding my 6 month old, laughing hysterically while my hubby is throwing carrots out windows like a madman. My two year old is taking it all in with mild amusement and wonderment until an animal stuck their head in his window and then he started shrieking like his head was on fire. Which of course made me go into hysterics and tinkle a little. Which as a result made my infant start crying again. Good times.

It was a blast though and it was wonderful for my hubby and I. We relaxed. I didn't make any lists, have to return fifty calls or deal with family drama. It really made us realize how important it is to get away and reconnect as a family. It doesn't have to be expensive or complex. My son is still talking about the zebra and giraffes. I hope to share some pics later when I can find the camera :)

0 comments: