Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Showdown with the Paci

I haven't been blogging much.... partly b/c we have been on vacation but a big part of it is that I am getting no sleep! My precious daughter was the best infant. She slept like a champ..... took a binkie but still slept. Until about 3 1/2 months. Then every time ( and I mean every time) it feel out of her mouth she woke up. I am talking every hour on the hour. If we "plug" her back up she goes right back to sleep then she is fine. Until the next hour. I am at my breaking point!!!!

I don't want to take away the one thing that she loves and gives her comfort but I don't want to be in the funny farm either!! I feel like we are both not getting the sleep that we need and its driving me crazy. My pediatrician told me to make sure that we are putting her down every night awake so that she knows how to put her self to sleep. This is all fine and good except that she goes to bed with the binkie and so in the middle of the night she can't recreate that. I just don't know what to do!!

All I do know is that I am exhausted. I just don't have the energy that I need for the rest of my family and I know that Mia is not getting the sleep that she needs. So tonight I think we will have to do tough love....Please pray for me! Any suggestions what has worked for you would also be appreciated!

1 comments:

Thrifty and Chic Mom said...

First of all just found your blog and think its great I am a Columbus, OH blogger too. Second great name I have a daughter named Mia too! Third and most importantly the binkie issue. Well its got to go at some point so if it isn't working anymore now is as good a time as ever. My older child did not have a binkie instead she had (still does sometimes) me in the rocking chair. Giving that up has been a battle that is often reverted too when she is sick ( I am weak for a mommy rock me cry) But here is what I have learned from experience and friends. It is easiest to replace one thing with another just be careful you don't create a new habit you can't live with. For example take the binkie and instead sing and pat her back or even rock her if you don't mind taking the time. There is always the finger option, but you have to be rid of that later too. My current baby gets a binkie ( my first did not) I have been taking it out of her mouth as soon as she is asleep and patting her if she starts to fuss back to sleep. This has made it so she does not need it constantly when asleep. I am moving towards none at all but we will see. Hope this helps. Hang in there it will all work out and you will someday get sleep again!