Friday, March 20, 2009

Sweeping in the Dark


I always try to clean my house on Fridays. I know its crazy. My mom did it and it drove me absolutely mad. Why clean house before a weekend of activity where its sure to get trashed. I guess I like that my house is all sparkly and clean before the week begins and its one thing I can cross off my list!

This particular Friday I was trying to do as much as I could while my babies were sleeping. My daughter is a very light sleeper and if I breath too loud, she wakes up. I decided to save sweeping for nap time since its quiet.

So there I was in my dark hallway sweeping away while squinting trying to be thorough and quiet at the same time. It was during this time that I really felt like God was teaching me a valuable lesson.

Here I was sweeping in the dark! I could see enough to sweep but not enough to fully see the dirt that I needed to get. How efficient was that? I gave myself a mental head slap as someone bigger than myself showed me an important lesson.

How often do I want God and others to do the same thing? I want my life to be fixed, perfect and happy without being exposed. I do not want my ugliness, selfishness or "issues" out there for anyone to see! But how in the world am I supposed to work of these things without them being revealed fully? How can the one who loves me, help me without shedding light on the situation? I want to be swept in the dark.

Much to my dismay I realize that sweeping in the dark only leads to big dirt piles left in spots that cannot be seen. So this morning, I am straying from my usual humor. I guess you can say that I will look at adversity a little differently. It may just be an opportunity to see where my dirt piles are. I hope God has a huge Swiffer :)

0 comments: