Friday, March 20, 2009

All things Asparagus

Can you believe that I never had asparagus before I was married? I just never bought it at the store being a single lady. I would look at the tall green stalks and move on to the lettuce. Asparagus scared me. I didn't know how to cook it and it seemed like too big of a pain. In that line of thinking and with it being on sale lately, I thought I would share my love of all things asparagus.

About Asparagus:

- Asparagus is one of nature's true food heroes as a source of protein, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, and iron.

- Asparagus is one of nature's true food heroes as a source of protein, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, and iron.

When choosing asparagus

-Wait till its on sale. Most stores have it on sale every other week or so. It can be quite expensive so look at the ads.

-A bunch can give my family of four a side dish for 2 dinners.

-The spears of asparagus should be straight and green, the stems should be shiny, plump, and smooth without blemishes and the bunches should be compact.


Storing Asparagus

- Asparagus may be stored for longer periods of time simply by placing bundled stalks upright in a bowl or dish with and inch of water (or just enough to keep the stalks moist).

-Is to wrap the cut ends of Asparagus in a moist paper towel. To trim the fresh asparagus about cut about a 1/4 inch at the stem and wash in warm water several times. Pat dry and place in moisture-proof wrapping like plastic wrap. Cover Refrigerate and use within 2 or 3 days for best quality.

-To maintain freshness, wrap a moist paper towel around the stem ends, or stand upright in two inches of cold water. You can also use Tupperware’s freshness saver products in your refrigerator.

Cooking the little suckers

I am going to include a link to every possible way to cook the little green suckers here. I , however, wanted to share how my husband fixes it. Its how I became addicted to the stuff. Its delicious quick and easy. Try it one time and you will be hooked too!

Grilled Asparagus

You want to wash and trim the ends of the stalks that appear whitish. ( I also take the potato peeler to the very ends that can be tough but by no means do you have to )

You then place the asparagus on a large plate and drizzle olive oil on the stalks. Then sprinkle some kosher salt on the stalks.

Place the stalks on the grill along with your meat. ( DO NOT PLACE on the grill until the last 5 minutes of the meat cooking. It does not take very long at all to cook!!! ) You want to cook the stalks until its tender crisp. You don't want it mushy or hard as a brick.


So if you haven't tried it, I hope you do. I am not paid by the National asparagus association or anything..... is there such a thing? If so e-mail me :)

0 comments: