Monday, December 28, 2009

Eat From the Pantry Challenge!


Money Saving Mom is starting a GREAT idea with an eating from the pantry challenge!! Since I have plenty of surplus, I have decided to take this challenge and get a little creative!

I am a recruited stockpiler from my best friend and has been couponing and stockpiling for about a year now. When my hubby built his 6th shelf to hold the stockpile, he gave me the look. I then stopped going to the grocery store for the next 2 1/2 months. (Except for Eggs, milk and fresh fruit and veggies.) I have to tell you that I was shocked that not only did we have delicious dinners and meals but I enjoyed the break from shopping in general.

Not to mention the savings...

It also forced me to use up ingredients that I had shoved in the back of the freezer, cabinets and pantry. It felt good to know that nothing was going to waste. It also made me think outside the box with recipes that I had never tried!

So I am going to throw my hat into the ring and take the challenge. In January we are finishing our basement and I am all about organization. I want to focus more inward then shopping so its perfect timing!!!
I will post updates and recipes along my journey. Will you take the challenge??

I was already perusing my shelves yesterday, mentally gearing up. I saw a bottle of ranch dressing, a frozen pizza crust, a skillet steak I have had frozen since... well I don't quite remember. In my fridge I have an onion that was diced and a whole green pepper that needs to be used.

Friday night is pizza night in this house so this is what we will be doing!

Philly Steak Pizza

Saute sliced onion , green pepper in a TBS of olive oil. Saute until tender crisp.

Add thin slices of skillet steak (very cheap steak!!) until browned to your taste.

Take your pizza crust (homemade or frozen like mine) and spread ranch dressing to taste.

Add sauteed mixture and coat with a healthy amount of mozzarella cheese.

Bake at 425 for about 8 - 12 minutes depending on how hot your oven is.






1 comments:

Coupon Teacher said...

It sounds like you are up for the challenge!