Saturday, January 2, 2010

Mama Knows Best: Using those Christmas candies

We as mamas have to be innovative and thrifty all in the same beat. Some how we find new ways of doing things that save us money, time and maybe if we are really blessed.... sanity!


If you have ever read my blog , you will probably know my hate of waste. I was confronted with this while taking down my decorations this week. I found myself with a whole lot of leftover Christmas candy.


I certainly did not want to throw it out!! (Hello Expensive!) But I also didn't want to display red and green wrapped candies in my kitchen either !!! So, here are a few things to do with those Christmas candies!!

** Melt the solid chocolates and drizzle over store bought (or homemade!) cheesecakes. You can make anything prettier and tastier with chocolate drizzle!!!

** Use your Hershey kisses in cookies. Here is a good recipe! I also found a yummy Hershey kiss Brownie recipe.. chocolate on chocolate... now that is what mama is talkin about!

**Use your nougat candy bars. Take 4-6 apples and chop them. Chop the candy bars you have left. Combine chopped apples and candy bars and top with whipped topping. You will be surprised how good it is. (And its practically a fruit, right? )

** Last but not least those M&M's !! This mama separates the candies by color. I put the red in a ziploc bag and the green in one. I use the red For Valentines day M&M cookies and the next month I use the green for St. Patrick's day cookies. (Or you could just give the bag of green ones to your hubby for Valentines day... I'm just sayin....) Here is a great recipe for the cookies.


M&M Cookies

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups candy-coated milk chocolate pieces

In a large bowl, mix sugar, eggs, shortening, and vanilla thoroughly. Add flour, salt, and baking soda to creamed mixture. Blend well. Add 3/4 cup of M&M candies.

Drop dough by teaspoonful onto cookie sheet. Slightly push a few candies on top of each dough ball with remaining candies.

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 9 to 11 minutes, to your liking


Do you have a money/time/sanity tip to share? E-mail me at everythingmom@live.com

0 comments: