Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Works For Me Wednesday: Firecracker hats and 4th of July drums!

This week my kids started to get that crazy look in their eyes. The one that says " I'm bored and I plan on entertaining myself by jumping on your last, dangling nerve."

You know the look.

So we busted out some craft supplies, invited over some friends and got down to business.

First we made firecracker hats. These were a big hit and use almost anything you have lying around the house!


Firecracker Hat

Take 2 sheets of newspaper, opened and fold the bottom two times. (You can make the width to fit your little ones head.) Cover the folded bottom part with tissue paper, construction or scrap booking paper and secure with glue stick or tape. Have your kids decorate it with pom poms, stickers and anything else you can find!


Turn the newspaper over so that the decorated side is on the table. Paint red and white strips or blotches covering the back of the newspaper. Let dry.



When completely dry, cut from the top to middle of paper in sections.


Wrap around your child's head and tape to fit.



Patriotic Drum

Take an old coffee can with lid and cover with any type of paper you would like. (We left ours long at the bottom so that we could have some funky fringe.)


Paint, sticker, decorate any way you would like!

Make two slits with a sharp knife in the lid. Thread wrapping ribbon through, making knots on the inside to secure.

Take a wooden spoon (I got a 4 pack at the dollar store.) and let your little one decorate that as well.


Happy 4th of July !!!
For great WFMW ideas, visit We are That Family!

5 comments:

Kasey said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Parenting in blue jeans said...

Cute ideas! I always have my kids decorate bags to collect candy from the parade with.

Totallyscrappy said...

I know exactly the LOOK you are talking about! I may have to whip out these crafty ideas. Super cute!

Armando Codina said...

Wow, I always have my kids decorate bags to collect candy from the parade with. thanx for the wonderful post.

Carry said...

Hmm, I may have to whip out these crafty ideas. Super cute, thanx for all this.