Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tempt my Tummy Tuesday- Shepherd's Pie



Keeping with the theme of St. Patricks day, I thought I would post a recipe for Shepherds pie. It calls for instant mashed potatoes, which is fine, but I use some frozen mashed potatoes that I have made previously. (See my potato post here!) Happy Tuesday everyone!

Shepherd's Pie

1 1/3 cups instant mashed potato buds

1/2/3 cup milk

2 Tbs butter

1 tsp salt, divided

1 lb ground beef

1/4 tsp black pepper

1 jar, 12 ounces beef gravy

1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed veggies, thawed and drained

3/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat broiler. Prepare 4 servings of mashed potatoes according to package directions using milk, butter and 1/2 tsp of salt.

While mashed potatoes are cooking, brown meat in medium broiler proof skillet over medium high heat, stirring to separate meat. Drain drippings. Sprinkle meat with remaining 1/2 tsp salt and pepper. Add gravy and veggies. Mix well. Cook over medium-low heat 5 minutes or until hot.

Spoon prepared potatoes around outside edge of skillet, leaving 3-inch circle in center. Sprinkle cheese evenly over potatoes. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat source 3 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and meat mixture is bubbly.

For more tempting recipes visit Blessed with Grace!

4 comments:

Kaycee said...

Yum! I love shepherd's pie. I think I'll have to include it on the menu plan for next week. I like to make a big pot roast on Sunday with lots of mashed potatoes, then make shepherd's pie with the leftovers. It freezes beautifully.

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

This is one of my favorites.

Brenda said...

Sheperds pie is such a good winter dish, hardy and filling.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Looks Great!Thanks for sharing your recipe and linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.