Friday, April 3, 2009

Mama knows best- adding to your savings

Every Friday I will be featuring Mama Knows Best series. We as mamas have to be innovative and thrifty all in the same beat. Somehow we find new ways of doing things that save us money, time and maybe if we are really blessed.... sanity!

This weeks tip comes from my friend Denise. Denise is a hard working single mother who makes being a good mama look easy. She gave me this tip and it was such a good idea I thought that I had to share!!

When I get done shopping at the grocery store I always look at the box that shows how much I saved. Whatever the amount that I saved, I immediately transfer that amount into my savings account.

So for example, yesterday I went to Meijer, and my receipt said I had a total savings of $18.61. I'm now transferring $18.61 directly from my checking to savings. (Having everything online makes it easier to do.) Its a small enough amount that it doesn't make a big impact and those small amounts really add up!!

I am taking Denise's suggestion. I often save more than I spend however. I always add the money that I stayed under budget to the savings account. That way we are still under grocery budget, putting money in the savings account and motivating me to save alot at the store!

Got a great idea? Send me yours at everythingmom@live.com .

0 comments: