Thursday, June 18, 2009

Kid's father day crafts!!

I have been trying to brainstorm about how I could combine a kids craft with a fathers day gift. We have 1 daddy, 3 grandfathers and 2 great grandfathers. That's alot of gifts! I was making coffee one morning when in my non coffee groggy state, I had a wonderful idea. (Maybe I was still half asleep and it was a dream.. not sure)

Coffee comes in such nice containers these days, I just can't bear to throw them away! The idea is that these are really handy containers for dads to keep all those screws, nails, nuts and bolts. It will keep their garages (aka: man space) cleaner and the container has a handy lid to keep every thing in its place.

I took the containers and spray painted them black. You can totally use any color, especially if your hubby has a certain sports team that he loves. (I got my spray paint at JoAnn's because they have 50% off coupons right now! )

I then dug out some of my "manly" tool scrap booking stickers and paints that I had. You can also print off stencils or make your own sponge stamps. Use anything that your imagination comes up with... or better off let your kiddos come up with some ideas!
I then let my little guy apply the tool stickers to the paint cans and go crazy with the paint.



Big mama then painted on "FROM DADDY'S LITTLE NUTS" and super glued some metal nuts around the letters. (You may want to superglue the stickers so they are not removable.) If you have older kids they can paint the words on themselves! I also put the kids names and ages along the back.

You can fill yours with little boxes of screws, nuts and bolts. Or you can really surprise daddy with a cordless tool or some new screwdrivers / wrenches.


The kids had a ball and I am sure daddy will be thrilled with a little cleaner work space!

4 comments:

Jessica-MomForHim said...

Very cute idea! I'll have to remember that one! Thanks for sharing. It's so hard to be creative year after year. :-)

Together We Save said...

Very fun idea.

This Real Mommy said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing it!

Anonymous said...

This is such a great idea. I'm going to bookmark this one for next year since we already have gifts for this year. Thanks for the great post!