Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Works for me Wednesday -How to keep your clothes from shrinking

I don't know about you but I can't stand it when my darling helpful husband does laundry. I know women who swear they would love if their husbands did laundry. I agree with them in theory.

In actuality what I get is a load of laundry that contains the following. A couple white fuzzy towels, a navy blue towel, a pair of nice khaki slacks, a red polo shirt, my linen skirt, a very shrinkable black baby doll top and a rag that I used to clean the oven. Can you hear me growling from where you are??

What I get from my hubby's good efforts is alot of shrunken clothes. I find the dryer does more damage than the washer does. I can't put all of the blame on my husband. I get in a hurry to get laundry done and forget that I have non dryables in the washer. I don't have to tell you ladies that money spent to re buy clothing is frustrating!!

What I have come up with is a way to hopefully save clothes and money. I went to a craft store and bought flat magnet squares that you can cut as needed. I then took my label maker and made a big fat label that said "NON DRYABLE ITEM". (You can just write it on some neon or colorful paper if you don't want to use a label maker or need to get someones attention. :) ) I then attach the label to the sticky side of the magnet sheet and wah lah!

Photobucket

After I throw a load in the wash with a non dryable item I will put my magnet over the lid. It has saved me so much frustration! I have asked my husband to only wash his clothes so that has also saved me some hassle. If he goes to throw a load in the wash and sees the magnet he slowly backs away from the washer..... and this works for me!



For more helpful hints check out http://rocksinmydryer.typepad.com/

11 comments:

Thrifty and Chic Mom said...

I love it that is great!

Katy said...

Oooo... Good idea! My husband is actually great with my laundry-related things, but does NOT understand the idea that some things are not made to go in the dryer...

The Beauty Bargainista said...

ooohhhh!! good idea! :) I will have to try that one. Knowing the people in my house they will open the lid, tear the seal, and not think twice about it! LOL

† Tasha said...

This is the best idea EVER! I am soo making me one! Another excuse to use Fancy Nancy (my label maker)! Yippee! Oh. Btw, I am givig you an award, check out my blog for details! :)

Julie said...

Clever idea. I too like the idea of a Hubby that does laundry...in theory ;-)

Anonymous said...

My husband is banned from Laundry detail. I secretly wonder if he planned it that way... but then I bet he probably wouldn't have bleached a load of darks on purpose, considering they were His clothes. But, this is a nifty idea, very neat! Blessings, Whitney

Anonymous said...

Very clever!
My oldest has begun to help with the laundry, so this will help with her, too!
Love it...thanks!

Anonymous said...

I have resorted to line drying all our clothes unless it's snowing or raining, which really stops all shrinkage.

Fortunately, though, I don't think my husband even knows how to use our washer and/or dryer, which is OK by me since he's a pro at hanging clothes out on the line.

E. Tyler Rowan said...

What an absolutely fantastic idea! I ALWAYS shrink my favourite things.

I so need a label-maker... :)

Anonymous said...

My husband does all the laundry and since he is a perfectionist, he does a better job than I do! What a blessing he is!

Superchikk said...

That is a great idea! I may also use it to remind myself to check stains on items I pre-treated. Sometimes I forget those are in there and throw them in the dryer without checking for the stain.