Wednesday, July 15, 2009

WFMW- School Countdown Jar

My 3 year old lives in the now. (Note to self: act more like my 3 year old :) ) He only really grasps things that are going to happen today. If someone would slip that we were going to go to grandma's on Friday, he would hound us starting from the moment the words his his little ears. We would get "You said we were going to grandma's" and "Can we leave now". Its hard to explain time to a toddler!


My little man is starting pre-school in the fall. To say that he is excited is a major understatement! During our interview with the school, he cried....... because school wasn't in session. He wanted us to leave and him to stay at school.


I then decided the only proper course of action was a countdown of some sort. Something to get his mind wrapped around the time left until he could proudly march up to those double doors. This is what I came up with:


I placed the letters and let him go sticker crazy with some school stickers I found in my stash. I then counted how many days until he started school. We sat down together and I let him count out piles of 10 M&M's until we had the right number.


I explained that he could eat 1 M&M each day. When there is no more candy then it is time to go to school! Of course he is excited about the candy but it also lets him visibly see how close he is to going to school. It has stopped the constant "Can I go to school today?" questions... and that works for this mama !!





For more great WFMW posts visit We are that Family!

9 comments:

Greta said...

Cute idea!

K@The Thrifty Teacher said...

Great idea! I have friends who did the same thing when their husbands were deployed.

Moore Minutes said...

That jar turned out adorable! What a fun idea for him too. Love it.

Annikke said...

hat is such a great idea!

Tracey said...

Love this idea!! I could also see using it as a countdown to Christmas or a vacation - any exciting event where they can view the progress each day. Thanks so much for sharing!

Connie said...

What a cute idea!

Kasey said...

awesome idea!

Deanna said...

I just totally copied your idea! I used little 1/2 cup mason jars and a chalkboard label sticker on the top. My son counted in 18 M&M's (that may or may not be from last halloween's candy clearance).
The 4 yr old- *grin* well, maybe we should call this The Delayed Gratification Test. We are laying bets on how many m&m's will survive till tomorrow. Ha!

LeeanneA said...

What a great idea - great to share with parents!