Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Eat From the Pantry Challenge- Stale Bread


Hey all! I have to say that my hubby is really helping me out with this weeks menu. We have enough pork from his smoker for a whole weeks worth of food! I did find a pack of hamburger buns in the back of my fridge. They were starting to go stale but were still edible.

I remembered that when we were little, we never had store bought garlic bread. It was hamburger buns with butter and garlic salt, toasted in the oven. We were having pasta, so I used the buns. My family loved it, we used the bread and there was no waste.

In honor of our garlic bread success, I thought I would list some other things you can do with some bread that is losing its oomph!

** Garlic Bread
Spread with butter. Sprinkle with garlic salt and toast in oven.

**Croutons
Cut to 1/2 inch thick. Coat with butter. Cut into chunks. Place in shallow pan until brown. (Turn halfway through).

** French Toast
Bread that is a little crusty is great for French toast!
4 (1 inch thick) slices Bread
4 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Butter or oil for frying
Maple syrup

Slice bread crosswise so that each slice is about 1-inch thick. Cut larger slices into halves or thirds, if desired. Set aside.

In a shallow mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon.

Quickly dip slices (do not soak) in egg mixture and cook until golden brown on both sides.

Keep egg mixture stirred and spices well blended.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with warm maple syrup.

** Bread sticks
Cut into 5 inch long strips. Roll in melted butter and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. Bake until just browned.

**Bread Pudding
3 eggs.
2 cups bread-crumbs.
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
1/2 cup raisins.
2 tablespoons butter.
1 quart milk.
1/2 teaspoon salt.
Little nutmeg.
Scald milk. Add butter and bread-crumbs. Beat eggs light and add with salt and spice to bread mixture. Bake lightly in moderate oven about an hour.

** Leftover Biscuits and Rolls
Make the leftover rolls into breakfast sandwiches. (My kids love the "little sandwiches" )

0 comments: