Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Be careful little ears what you hear.....


"Be careful little ears what you hear".... this is a lyric from one of my favorite new songs by Casting Crowns. It instantly sprang to mind this week with my babies.

Children amaze me. They are such little sponges. Its where the things that they absorb come from that makes me take pause.

My newly 1 year old started hissing at me this week. You heard me right, Hissing! I was changing her diaper and out it came. A hiiisssssssss. She is not a big fan of diaper changes so she was obviously expressing her dismay with the hisssssss. My first thought was where in the world did she get that from? We don't hiss at each other. We do not own a snake and we steer clear of the hissing cockroaches at the zoo. All the same I am thanking the Lord above that she does not contain venom because after 456 hisses I would be six feet under by now.

My almost 3 year old has said some of the funniest things I have ever heard this past week. Once again I am wondering where he got it from. I was complimenting him the other day about how much he helped me plant some flowers. He put his head down in mock embarrassment and said "Oh Shucks". Shucks? Ok Beav..... Then I was putting him in his bed for naptime the other day. I tucked the covers in around his shoulders and he looked up at me and said "my little body doesn't need rest".

I laughed because it was amusing to me that he said such a thing. Then it started to sink in. They are listening. To EVERYTHING. I did a mental walk through of my day and cringed. I thought of that driver that cut me off. I had little eyes and ears watching me in the backseat, trying to figure out how to treat others. They are studying our every move to see how they should act. Talk about pressure... sheesh. I think that is what makes parenting so stinkin hard. Its not just what you say to your kids. Its what you say to others, how you act and where your priorities are. Its a great reminder to me that I am accountable.

So maybe next time a driver cuts me off, I will just smile at them.

Ok, maybe I will let out a little hisssssssss too.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehehe your kids sound so CUTE! Good reminder on being careful... I don't have any of my own at this point, but I'm around kids frequently and I definitely can catch myself being too careless...

Tracy said...

Oooh...this is so true so true. This was a fun post to read and such a good reminder.