Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tempt my Tummy Tuesday- Pineapple edition


This week Kroger has Pineapple on sale for $2.99. There is just nothing like a fresh pineapple!! When its on sale like this I buy a couple. I not only have it on hand as a snack, I also bake with it!! I have included my favorite recipe. Enjoy!!

Pineapple Upside down cake

3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 fresh pineapple - peeled, cored and cut into rings

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Melt the butter. Brush a little bit of the butter on the inside of a 9 inch cake pan.

Mix 5 tablespoons of the butter with the dark brown sugar and 1/4 cup of the pineapple juice. Place this mixture in the bottom of the cake pan. Arrange the pineapple rings on the brown sugar mixture in a decorative pattern (be creative). Set pan aside.

Stir together the flour, salt, white sugar, and baking powder.

Separate the eggs. Beat the whites until stiff but not dry.

Beat two of the egg yolks until lemony yellow. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup pineapple juice, vanilla, and remaining melted butter. Add this mixture to the flour mixture. Gently fold in the egg whites. Pour batter over the top of the brown sugar and pineapple rings.

Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes then cover pan tightly with a serving dish and invert so that the pineapple side is up.


For more tempting recipes visit Blessed with Grace!

4 comments:

Hoosier Homemade said...

That sounds so great for Spring!
Thanks for sharing!
~Liz

Samantha said...

I love pineapple ! I will have to try this for my family, thanks so much for sharing, have a very blessed day !

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

LOVE pineapple!!!! Always reminds me of some wonderful memories on Kauai!! Thanks for sharing your recipe and linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

Brenda said...

I used to make this but have not made it in years. Good memories