Thursday, July 31, 2008

Cute idea for kids rooms

When moving my son to his "big boy" room, I was trying to find a creative way to decorate his room. I had found this great bedroom set at T.J. Maxx. It was a bedspread, sheet, fitted sheet, pillow cases and sham for $20. It was emergency vehicles and had this road winding through the police cars, ambulances, and fire trucks.

So hubby, son and my big pregnant belly and went to Lowe's. We went there to buy paint and we found some pretty cool stuff ! Did you know that they have chalkboard paint, whiteboard paint and magnetic paint? The possibilities are overwhelming!!! You could paint a square, oval or rectangle of anyone of these paints and put a colorful frame around it ! Or you could paint a large square where your children study and you now have an instant chalkboard.

What I choose to do is to paint a little road going around my entire sons room to match the one on his comforter. My hubby taped it off and painted two coats of magnetic paint. He then painted the bottom red and the road a dark grey. The finishing touch was a little sponge with some yellow paint and you have a road.

I could not find any car magnets that were not bulky so I decided I would make my own. I found those 3D scrap booking stickers in cars, motorcycles and tractors. ( I also found cute stop signs, lights and cautions) I used the magnetic sheets and cut the magnets around the shapes of the cars and signs. My friend later found emergency vehicle and construction truck magnets at Target for $2.50.

My son can now play with cars along his magnetic road and we even hang special pictures of loved ones or his artwork in his room! When he gets older we can simply paint one more coat of grey to cover the yellow slashes and he has a scarlet and grey room. ( Go Ohio Sate Buckeyes!!! ) He can then use the magnetic paint to show concert tickets and whatever else I can't stand. :)


Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comments:

Marilene said...

so much fun! thanks for sharing all of your ideas!